Sunday, May 27, 2007

Classic Case of Overexposure

The first book i remember reading was not, interestingly, an Enid Blyton or a E Nesbit or even a Boxcar children book. ( Though I love reading them now. I must be in regression). It was this book called the Black Arrow. It was abridged, and by RLStevenson, and I loved it, still do. After that, I read every classic I could get my hands on to. I loved Jane Austen, and Dickens(i loved Dickens), Verne, Alcott, Fenimore cooper. And so I was into classics from the very beginning. Some of them abridged, most not. I realise now I was too young for many of them, and had to go back to them later, but they were these books with character, not mass produced children's literature, and I fed on them ravenously.

Of course, this had many repercussions.
One, I had these huge glasses when I was six, and already had a small face, so from a distance it looked like two walking parabolic reflectors.
Two, I developed this weird habit of talking like I was this ancient Victorian. Hearing a little girl saying things like "why, pray?" and "That's pre-pre-preposterous!" must have been disconcerting, and it's no wonder people stayed away.
Three, I nearly bankrupted my family. At one point of time, I was getting twelve books a week, and they had to rent most of them, and even buy some, so I think they even tried to get me addicted to TV instead; but it was too modern and newfangled for me.
Four, I became this trying-to-be-dramatic, romantically-inclined creature, not unlike Anne but without her charm, which ensured and ensures that I remain single forever. Also, there wasn't and won't ever be, anyone like Darcy, or Bluntschli, or The Scarlet Pimpernel, or Dick Shelton.
Five, I ignored guests of all kinds, didn't eat unless they let me read while doing it or better still, spooned the stuff into me, stayed up till I'd finished a book or barricaded myself into the bathroom with it, and snapped at anyone, however well-meaning, who tried to talk to me in the middle of a book. To their credit, they soon learned, and let me alone after a while.


But then, I gained hours and hours of the most amazingly pure, uninterrupted(not that they didn't try), unforced pleasure that I never get from anything other than books. In all, I was a totally happy child, safe in the world I'd created for myself, letting no one in.(Come to think of it, I wouldn't marry me if I were a guy.What a bore.)

Now, to business. This post was prompted by the fact that sangy( can i call you that?) aka Roberta Flak, of icecream-is-cold.blogspot.com (wow blog), tagged me. Which means I have to post the 5th para( or last if there's no fifth) of page 123, of the book I'm currently reading, and I have to tag five people more. And that's why I wrote this post, because the current book happens to be Rob Roy by Scott (sucks to all of you who expected Penthouse) and I find I haven't got over my fascination with the musty old things. They do smell so good...

*shakes head to clear it*.anyway, here's my bit.

"Besides the progress which Miss Vernon had, whose powerful mind readily adopted every means of information imparted to it, had made in more abstract science, I found her no contemptible linguist, and well acquainted with ancient and modern literature. Were it not that strong talents will often go furthest when they seem to have least assistance, it would be almost incredible to tall the rapidity of Miss Vernon's progress in knowledge; and it was still more extraordinary, when her stock of mental acquisitions from books was compared with her total ignorance of actual life. It seemed as if she saw and knew everything except what passed in the world around her; and I believe it was this very ignorance and simplicity of thinking upon ordinary subject, which rendered her conversation so irresistibly fascinating, and riveted the attention to whatever she said or did; since it was absolutely impossib;e to anticipate whther her next wprd or action was to display the most acute perception or the most profound simplicity. The degree of danger which necessarily attended a youth of my age and keen feelings from remaining in close and constant intimacy with an object so amiable and so peculiarly interesting, all who remember their own sentiments at my age may easily estimate."


I love this book ever since '98 when i got it. The heroine's so different from the usual simpering kind. Oh, and I tag Priyanka at butterfly assassin which does not mean that she slaughters innocent butterflies, and revolver at shootingfrom. I also tag raghu and another brick in the wall, seeing as they haven't done their part and I don't know anyone else to tag. And if you noticed that leaves another person to be tagged, you can jolly well be that person yourself, because I CANNOT think of anyone else. so there.

24 comments:

raghu said...

oye.. i tagged u na.. that 3 things tag..im all confused.. :S

im even roberta flack tagged me.. so i must read two books.. oh my.

raghu said...

maha ultimate tooo maha much over exposure.. aarrghhh.

The Mindbender said...

Ever had to study great expectations the day before your rehearsal, wishing you weren't? Well you should!

Amazing blog though...would say it's the second best I've seen (and I haven't seen too many, so that isn't much of a compliment)

Dev said...

I loved the way you described the pros and cons of reading from a young age.
Very often I oscillate from one side to the other regarding the question: Did I lose more or gain more by staying in the world of books.
I don't think there is an answer to that...Only opinions

speedpost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
speedpost said...

Scheheraade.. if you are new age.. then why the classics.. ur entry reminds me of my days as a kid sitting up with a torchlight under a blanket trying to finish the last page of an abridged count of monte cristo

new age scheherazade said...

@mindbender: thanks. or no thanks. or thanks. actually, i'm confused. and which is the best one you've seen? I liked great expectations though-specially Havisham, seeing as I'm probably going to become her.

@dc:I think you gained. a lot. but that's only my opinion. and thanks.

@speed: I think you'd agree I'm more new age than the real scheherazade? and never needed the torchlight bit, because I didn't let my grandparents sleep till I'd finished. girls are more tyrannical that way, I guess:)

The Mindbender said...

it belongs to a friend of mine...check out tessanoth.blogspot.com;
So basically you just like characters you can identify with? Hardly ever happens with me...everyone I seem to relate to is someone I end up despising more often than not.

The New Age Superhero said...

OMG i'm jealous.. u know i alwyz wanted 2 read books.. i wanna be the person u are (or at least the part of it where u r so lost in books).. but i'm so lazy.. god its embarrassing.. its the only umm.. love of my life (thts really insulting the word "love") thats stayed so ignored due 2 my laziness.. its like.. when i start reading i just dont wanna stop but whn some ass interrupts me.. then i just feel so bored 2 get back 2 the book, its really really sad u know.. it takes me million yrs 2 complete a book cz trust me i jst open the book 3 times AT MOST.. the very first time i tend to complete half of it till someone disturbs me, then the later part of it gets completed likewise.. i really feel ashamed whn i someone asks me "so hav u read this?" and my answer is "no".. feel disgusted wid myself.. but wat disgusts me even more is that i dont do ntn about it.. grrr.. alrt kido.. i'll work on my laziness.. i shalt consider u as my inspiration.. i shalt stick ur poster on my room ka wall n read one book everyday (i know its imposs but ah well god knows wat can happen wid ur blessings :P).. so yeah.. lets c

oh.. thank u for taggin me.. still hav 2 type so many posts myself yaa.. i shalt tag the ppl who've tagged me asap :S.. god wherez time? :(.. i miss life :(

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

i agree with annesha(speedpost) there. reading books under the blanket has a charm of its own, especially since i had to resort to doing it when my parents found out i was sleeping through class and staying up at night to read. my point was - who the hell wants to read about zila parishads in class?

people will never understand book worms. i sometimes wonder what i'd have turned out like if i didnt read.

and yes, you've tagged me. i shall have to see about that.

new age scheherazade said...

@mindbender: really? you hate everyone you relate too? that is SAD. is it I-want-to-be-unique-ness? beacause that's really dangerous.

@priyanka:I know..i think of that too, but then I try not to. it scares me like a bad horror movie.

Bijoyini Ganguly said...

this is an amazing account. I can identify with you. I didnot read charles dickens but i read on.I was tagged "miss mystery" in class 4 because i was so into enid blyton. And ayn rand's fountainhead has so changed me.

heh? ok said...

aww you did my tag!! good girl! and yes, you may call me sangy, and i really liked this post, brought back my own recalcitrant childhood.

FlameBird said...

erm...your comment on my blog went into spam..no idea why.

Anyways that is sorted out now!

Cheers!

Rajarshi said...

haha! a little kid spouting big victorian era words...sounds like my childhood. i love dickens' works too, but i certainly didn't until i was 15 or 16.

ToOothlEss WOndeR! said...

You guys nevr stop, do you?
When i was ten, my dad bought me a big sherlock holmes. I did try to read, but the stupid thing wouldn't make any sense to me back then.

But time changed it all. I'm *still* a die-hard fan of SH.

The point is - when I was small, i used to be too busy collecting frogs and falling off the bicycle that I'd do a vanishing trick if someone so much as mentioned a book.
I'm *still* something like that.
:)

ToOothlEss WOndeR! said...

and yeah - thanks for visiting my blog. :)

ToOothlEss WOndeR! said...

and i've got supraventricular tachycardia too.
:|

new age scheherazade said...

@bijoyini- thanks! and why not dickens? pickwick papers is full of the most wow descriptions of food. but then, so is Enid Blyton.

@ rajarshi-glad you liked it. you gave the questions for jackoiz prelims today, right? they were weirdly hard.or maybe it was an off day for me.

@toothless- really? you had it? you're the only other one i've met. let's start SVT-ians anonymous.

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

i'll be frank, the questions were horrible. *seethes* i just HAD to get that out. sorry it's on your blog, anasua.

speedpost said...

hey anasua.... thanks for the inspiration..my blog on mating rituals is up dekhte parle dekhhish

Anonymous said...

As always great.

new age scheherazade said...

@priyanka: that's okay, I did tag you.

2speedpost: that was a good idea, seeing as the post turned out so well.

@ little lulu: love ya, as always.

Anonymous said...

no wonder youve turned out so articulate