Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Passions of a Sea Anemone

There’s this section in orkut that always has me stymied when, having absolutely nothing better to do, I fill out my profile for the umpteenth time. It’s the ‘my passions’ field. And frankly, I do not like it one bit. I mean, I know I’m pretty much a vegetable when school’s out, and that the gang would probably rate me 8 on a boring scale of 10(none of them read this blog a lot, so I can safely say 8 and not 10), and if I were an animagus I’d probably be a sea-anemone; but sitting there for five whole minutes thinking of my passions(‘ thinking of my passions’- what an oxymoron) is simply not acceptable.

So, I’m going to do something about it and list them out here. And I will NOT tell you how long it takes me to write this.

First of all-and this comes easy-reading. But would you say breathing, or drinking water, (or sitting with the gang on the grounds on lazy afternoons, all of us bunking classes) is a passion? Reading’s like that....I have to do it, or wither away. Or whatever it is sea anemones do when they decide they’ve had enough of life. I’ve always been like that. Can’t sleep without finishing a book, and when someone snatches it out of my hands at 2:30 in the night, I lie awake wondering about the next page. So no, it isn’t a passion. More like a necessity, like going to the toilet. (Yeah, ugh and all that.) So that’s out.

Next up, I could say music, because when I was young I’d wake up and go to sleep with the old maestros creating magic with ancient ragas. I had a musical home (no, not those things that tinkle when you turn a key). But well… those days are gone. Nothing’s forever, and somewhere down the line my tastes changed or rather my habits changed, and I moved on to a little western classical and then on to old bands and new bands and rock and music that means so many things it doesn’t mean anything at all. I still listen to old stuff, but mostly on the radio, and a few cds I have, but I fidget nowadays and I never used to fidget before. Maybe it’s because I’m trying to bring back something that just isn’t there anymore, and if I’ve learnt one thing, it is that that cannot be done.

It might be Science which sometimes fascinates me with the sheer wonder of the universe and people like Feynman have had a lot to do with that. But then, the everyday mind-numbing ordeal of copying notes like some macabre superfast typewriter and then mugging them up the night before the exams does a good job of putting my ‘scientific temper’ to sleep. So I’m back to the square marked one, which is the square I was born in, and will die in.Sad.

So is it Superman? That’s what I write sometimes when I’m trying to be smart-ass funny. But he’s really only the guy I admire, actually the guy everyone admires and wants. I mean, he’s Superman. I love graphic novels (comic books for the uninitiated) because of the amazing nuances and the cool people on and behind the pages, but I’m not so passionate about them that I’d go to a comic book convention in the neighbouring state like Seth. I’d like a guy like Clark someday,(umm, not exactly like him; I mean I could do without the vulnerability to Kryptonite), that’s why he sometimes makes it to the passions list, but since none of the guys I know remotely fit the bill, I’m as far away from a likely passion as I was before. So that’s out too.

Wail....so what am I passionate about?? I don’t like to admit it, but nothing much, really.
Oh well, man probably evolved from something like sea anemones anyway, so maybe there’s hope for me yet. So pray for me while I hibernate. (Yeah, I know they don’t hibernate, but I couldn’t find anything else. So sue me.)

48 comments:

raghu said...

well, passion is intense liking for something,anything.
you like science.. its apparent!
so well no matter how much they make you mug up things.. continue liking it!

but sometimes its good to wait.. wait till you find what you love..its ok!

The New Age Superhero said...

hehe.. ok i can contribute to this

u r just like every other person on this planet.. we are all confused.. we tend to like million things but we get bored of them.. we cannot pursue with stuff forever cz we just lose the interest in thm or the so-called passion in them.

there are things which u feel tht wont ever ever get bored of.. i believe the things that u have enlisted like books, comics, physics are some of them.. u are so much in love with these that the passion has become a necessity in a way.. thy hav becme inseparable part of u.. exactly wat passion is

few yrs ago whn i was all lost n unhappy wid my work n career in general, i came across this guy who told me that i hadnt dreamt enough and hence i'm not determined to pursue something for certain n i'm chasing after million different things. i failed 2 force myself to dream, but eventually it happened, i just started looking in me, started 2 find myself and an old lost habit popped up, the habit which i'd given up cz i thot it wudnt be of no use to me, the love that i thot was just waste of time, the passion which i felt was a wasted gift.. feeling ashamed to hav rated it thus, i just woke up n thot wat i can do about it.. and there.. in a week's time i found a million things i can do wid the help of ths "gift".. all i needed was to believe in myself.. as long as i do tht, as long as i hav me for myself, i know i can hold on to my passion n let it be wid me forever! hope i made sense to u.

raghu said...

kya gift be.. :P bol bol bol!

The New Age Superhero said...

the gift of gab.. hehe :P

raghu said...

saala.. dun rmbr.. gift of talkin nonsense at the right time!

hahahah.. oral xamination!
hahahahahahah

The New Age Superhero said...

oh.. tht was sometime ago.. now i kick ass in orals too.. didnt i tell u bout my moot court? i was brilliant :P

raghu said...

wah wah.. u never talk about ur moots ya.. me hears only from divi n vini!

great now u can talk! :D hahahaha!
soorrryyy bahut case liya.. :P

The New Age Superhero said...

oh.. this was only my second moot.. it was good.. haan.. pehli baar jabaan khol paaya.. mazaa aaya :P

raghu said...

yay! sukrut the star.. great ya.. i mean i can imagine..ud be great if u could talk reaaallll well.. it wud b impressive..really..i mean it.. it wud b real impressive!

The New Age Superhero said...

i am pathetic at explaning stuff 2 ppl.. i jst state my point and am just unable 2 justify it somehow.. and then i'm rated as a confused ass :S... not fair

raghu said...

so soch ke bol na.. justify kar..dimaag mein aur phir bol..the funny thing is i can justify anything 2 myself and then with others when im discussing it..they come up with some amazing perspectives.. so its fun.. but the u can land up saying things u dnt believe in.. thsts y i dont argue much dese days.. its tiring to think so faaast.. rather think slowly and more accurately.

The New Age Superhero said...

well.. i just feel most of the times the arguement is not worth arguing or the fight is not worth fighting.. so i jst go on 2 save my strength.. call it wisdom or it laziness.. i jst fail 2 care most of the times :S

raghu said...

abbe.. passion is just too bog a word.. i mean..i think u want something u'd b willing 2 do all the time and not get bored.. well thats hard.. evry1 get bored of even their most fav thing u noe.. we are not supposed to like one thing all the time.. have just one "passion".. it would kill spontaneity.. it would make everything monotonous.. you can change songs while listening to them.. but that would still be a passion .. you can hate to work on homework.. but physics is still your passion.. you could say your criteria for passion is rather hard to find.
passion is just intense liking for something.. you do intensely like reading,physics,feynman, or music.. you do.. but if you want to one level higher.. like something more than all of this.. you really have to invest time and hunt.
see your really lucky to like to read.. see i dont.. i dont read books unless it would help me to show off.. :D
but then again i do enjoy some books.. but i haven't ever read a book twice.. nothing twice.. :P
im sure u get what im saying.. and i think i get what your saying..though its hard to explain or pacify you.. all I'd say is its fine.. we are just kids.. its alright to be childish.. i really is.

The New Age Superhero said...

@ raghu: amen!

new age scheherazade said...

@raghu: I second that.

raghu said...

but i hope i do feel like reading some book twice man..i dont evn read ncert twice!

The New Age Superhero said...

somethings are not humanly possible and somethings are not raghuvally possible.. like u reading a book twice mebbe :P

The New Age Superhero said...

oh btw.. new age was reading all the convos.. i'm so touched by her attentive and patient ways! sahi hai be! :D

raghu said...

she read our testimonials also.. she ACTUALLY likes reading man.. :S

new age scheherazade said...

I know. It's a sad affliction. But then now that my british Council membership's expired, and Ihave no reading material, I guess there are worse things to do than read the rot you guys spout!

raghu said...

lol.. :S.. you buy original books?
i have nevr bought a single original book.. in a loooooong time..feynman was the last one..cos i cunt find a pirated.. i bought fountainheed 4 40 bucks.. which i consider a great achievement!

The New Age Superhero said...

tho u rate it a rot, i am still touched :P

raghu said...

its her blog 4 god sakes.. she should read the comments.. fails me why you're touched :P

new age scheherazade said...

i bought fountainhead for 60 bucks..anyway, british council is a library,crazy. and comments yes, but rot? You'd make me read rot?

raghu said...

i bought rye 4 60 bucks :D
bcl is crazy..why?
well.. not evrything we write is crap.. and since u cant say wats crap without reading.. u read evrything cos ders a chance that wat we've written something nice na?

heh? ok said...

wow, you guys go on forever! the thing is, very few people take the word passion seriously...so they come up with lukewarm interests..but truthfully, my one passion is sleeping. i could do it forever..

new age scheherazade said...

bcl's not crazy, you are. And sometimes you do say sensible things, I agree. Do you even know how far apart those times are?

@heh: I know..they seem to like this more than yahoomessenger.

raghu said...

your damn yahoo msgr don't work!
ya n its been long since suk n i ven chatted properly!

raghu said...

hey i KNOW bcl is a library!
my sis was damn member of it too.. i think you get mostly only British authors there right?

The New Age Superhero said...

i was a member of BCL too.. i used it mostly for study purposes.. damn.. i am a geek :S

The New Age Superhero said...

and i dont hav yahoo messenger.. i hate yahoo messenger!

The New Age Superhero said...

besides.. ths is much more easy n convenient a way 2 message.. yahoo messenger SUCKS!

The New Age Superhero said...

i prefer gtalk 2 yahoo or even msn.. tho msn is alrt.. yahoo simply sucks.. gtalk rules!

The New Age Superhero said...

ok raghu.. ur turn now :P

raghu said...

i have all 3.. yahoo i use 4 sms... msn 4 most ppl.. and gtalk 4 nice nice ppl whom i like.. obvi ana is an exception.. shes on yahoo..but not 4 sms :D

The New Age Superhero said...

yaa.. msn is for conferencing only na :P

raghu said...

nahi be.. msn lotta unwanted ppl also.. but then why worry as long as ana allows us here.. such a sweeett gal.. wonder how her day in school was today.. :P

The New Age Superhero said...

aah.. her school starts na.. she must be so so happy yaa.. am jealous :P

raghu said...

oh ya.. the ana the bear.. she has been forcefully woken up from hibernation..i hate to admit..but i dislike sleep.. i really dont like sleepin ya :(

The New Age Superhero said...

me too hates sleeping.. its waste of time.. waste of life... kal marr gaya aur bhagwan pucha kya ukhaada.. aur bolega so raha tha toh usko kya sharam aayega re.. me hates to sleep

raghu said...

i still cant understand why our comments are some called reprives from beheaded ya.. i mean i wasnt gonna be beheaded na.. only females were supposed to be :S

The New Age Superhero said...

sme ppl dont understnd.. so jst let thm be raghu :P

raghu said...

but where is our sea-anemone/wannabe bear ya.. im missin her now :(

The New Age Superhero said...

aww.. raghu missin anasuaa.. anaa tu kahan hai re?

raghu said...

kya patha.. kuck milaap work.. kya work be.. wats more imprtant than nonsense like this..this is life :D

Unknown said...

unfortunately,an ex-member of ur gang chanced to see ur blog...and ur caught giving out wrong info...she gets a 9.5 out of 10 on the boring scale for 90%of her life..(by d way,she's spend only 10% of her life widout books....)

Unknown said...

there's been really insulting and embarrasing momments when she wanted 2 disown us as her friends..just because we wanted her 2 interact wid this world..(n nt just remain submerged in her world of books...)
can b quite A DANGEROUS girl in dis respect....

new age scheherazade said...

@ mitra: i'd forgoten why i was grateful you guys didn't see this blog.
now i'm all exposed.(9.5?? not 9.5??? 9 maybe?)
and ex-member? we'll kill you if you disown us.